On this page: Product Description | Download| Features and Functionality| System Requirements
The CommonLook PDF Validator is the only PDF checker that tests a document against Section 508, WCAG 2.0 AA, PDF/UA, and HHS (U.S. Health and Human Services) standards. In addition, users can customize the checkpoints within any standard to fit the specific accessibility needs of their organization.
Furthermore, the CommonLook PDF Validator allows the user to not only verify compliance to the checkpoints that can be tested with automation, but also to test elements such as proper reading order, sufficiently descriptive alternative text, accurate table summaries for complex tables, and more!
Some PDF verification products only check against PDF/UA. Other checkers do not specify at all which standards are being tested (and may even include a disclaimer stating that their results should not be used as any sort of compliance certification). Some software has even been known to give false positives or false negatives – passing documents that are not in compliance or failing documents that do, in fact, meet PDF accessibility specifications. The CommonLook PDF Validator, however, will allow the user to certify that their document is indeed in compliance with any selected standard, and will provide a report as documentation.
Refer to the section below for a complete list of Features and Functionality!
Download the CommonLook PDF Validator
Download the CommonLook PDF Validator here!
Features and Functionality
- Verify documents against Section 508, WCAG 2.0 AA, PDF/UA, and HHS
- Customize checkpoint configurations to fit the needs of a specific organization
- Change the verification status of any checkpoint (mark as Passed, Not Applicable, etc.)
- Test (and and change the status of) checkpoints requiring manual verification
- Generate a compliance report
Test Document Properties
- View and Verify appropriate Metadata including Title, Subject, Author, Keywords, Language, and Country
- Verify that the document will display the Title (not the file name)
- View and Verify accurate Bookmarks
- Check that fonts are properly embedded in the document
- Test that characters in text objects are mapped to Unicode
Verify Proper Tagging
- View the Tags tree to verify proper tagging and to verify logical reading order
- Verify proper tag nesting
- Verify proper use of heading tags
- Selecting a tag in the Tags tree highlights the content in the PDF
- Highlighting content in the PDF automatically selects the tag (or shows
- Tag Properties panel conveniently displays the properties of any tag (alternative text, table summary, tooltip, etc.)
- Verify and Pass the Alternative text on any tag
- Selecting an error in the verification results shows the element in the PDF
- Verify proper role mapping for custom tags
- Easily view untagged content
- Test for the presence of empty tags
- Check for empty tags that contain Alternative text
Lists and Links
- Test for proper assembly of List and Link tags
- Test for, and allow the user to verify link tag Alternative text
- Test for, and allow the user to verify link annotation Contents (PDF/UA)
- Test for “broken” links
- Test for proper assembly of Form tags
- Test for Tooltips
- Allow the user to verify accuracy of Tooltips
- Test for table regularity
- Test for proper assembly of Table tags
- Test for existence of Table Summaries
- Allow the user to verify accuracy of Table Summaries
Administrator rights are needed to download and install the CommonLook PDF Validator.
- Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP
- Adobe Acrobat 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0 (Acrobat X) 11.0 (Acrobat XI), or DC – Standard or Professional.