A typical enterprise may be responsible for creating and managing many thousands of PDF documents residing on the internet, intranet, internal networks and personal computers. As these documents go through the various phases of authoring, verification and distribution, managing their accessibility and section 508 compliance requirements can be a daunting task for management, IT departments and content authors.
Some of the key questions raised by the various stakeholders include:
- To what degree am I responsible for making my documents compliant with accessibility standards?
- What tools and knowledge do I need to make my documents accessible?
IT/WEB DEVELOPMENT TEAMS AND TESTERS:
- To what degree am I responsible for making the documents I verify and publish on the internet / intranet accessible?
- What tools and knowledge do I need to perform my job?
- What is the optimal workflow for ensuring compliance with accessibility standards?
- How do I measure the compliance level of the enterprise’s PDF holdings?
- How can I measure the progress the enterprise makes over time?
- Where should our resources be directed to optimize compliance?
The CommonLook Clarity framework is the leading solution that provides management, IT and content authors with the tools and methodology to effectively measure the compliance level of the enterprise and to correct compliance problems within a framework built on the proven CommonLook PDF verification and remediation technology. The framework provides flexible configurations that facilitate the roll-out of section 508 and accessibility practices to the author level for maximum impact.
In order to install and run Clarity Web, you will need IIS (Internet Installation Services) installed (and turned on) on your machine. If it is not already, then follow the steps below:
- In Programs and Features, select “Turn Windows Features on or off”, and
- In the “Windows Features” pop-up box, select Internet Information Services,
- Expand the IIS menu by clicking on the + sign to the left of “Internet Information Services,”
- Open all of the + signs in sub-lists under IIS,
- Refer to the screen shot and the list below for the various checkboxes that should be checked.
- Click OK.
In the IIS Menu, the following folders and subfolders are checked:
- FPT Server – Unchecked,
- Web Management Tools – All Checked,
- Application Development Features – All Checked,
- Common HTTP Features – Checked:
- Default Document
- Directory Browsing
- HTTP Errors
- Static Content
- Health and Diagnostics:
- HTTP Logging is checked
- All other options are unchecked
- Performance Features: Static Content Compression is checked
- Request Filtering is checked
- All others are unchecked
IMPORTANT: Please ensure you have administrative privileges on the server before you attempt to install Clarity Web.
CLARITY WEB COMPONENT DOWNLOAD
- CommonLook Clarity has two Modules: the Verification Module and the Web Application Module.
- First, download the Verification Module to your desktop.
- Second, download the Web Application Module to your desktop.
- Alternatively, you can contact NetCentric Sales (firstname.lastname@example.org) to obtain the software on CD.
Note: The installation MUST be performed while logged in to Windows as a user with Administrative Privileges on the local machine.
- Double click on the ClarityWeb4_3_5VerMod.exe file. The following message box will appear:
- Windows Installer 4.5
- Microsoft .NET 4.0
- Visual C++ 2010 redistributables
- SQL Server 2008 Express Edition.
Please note that you may have to restart your server one or more times during the installation.
- Once all the prerequisites are installed, the following Welcome screen will be displayed. Click Next to move to the next step.
- The Setup will bring up the NetCentric Software License Agreement. Please make sure you read and agree with the Agreement before you continue. If you do not agree with the terms of the License Agreement select Cancel to discontinue the installation. If you agree with the terms of the Software License Agreement check the I Agree radio-button and click Next.
- The Setup will bring up the following Screen to allow the user to set the Database Information. You may keep the Database Server Name, Database Name and Database Administrator User Name settings as they are and provide a password for the “sa” administrator.
NOTE: The password provided needs to adhere to your server’s password policy. For example, if your server requires passwords to be more than 8 characters long with a mix of alpha numeric values and special characters, the password needs to follow the same policy.
NOTE: If you need to use another Database server (has to reside on the same machine), you may change the Database Server Name to correspond to that of the instance you want to use.
- The Select Installation Folder screen is displayed to give the user the ability to specify the target folder for the software installation. You can keep the default value (recommended) or specify a different installation path. Please keep the Everyone radio-button checked. Click Next.
- At this stage, all information needed to install Clarity Web Verification Module has been collected. The installer will bring the Confirm Installation screen. Click Next to start the actual file installation:
- Once the installation is completed, the Installation Complete screen will be displayed. Click Close.
- Setup may ask for your permission to reboot your server. Select Yes.
This concludes the Verification Module installation part of the CLARITY WEB Web Installation. Continue with the Web Application Module installation – see instructions beginning on the next page.
IMPORTANT: The installation MUST be performed while logged in to Windows as a user with Administrative Privileges on the local machine.
- Double click on the ClarityWeb4_3_5WebMan.exe file. The following message box will appear:
- Click Yes. This will unzip the file and start the installation process.
- Once the extraction process is completed, the Welcome screen will be displayed.
- Click Next to proceed.
- The Setup will bring up the NetCentric Software License Agreement. Please make sure to read and agree with the Agreement before you continue. If you do not agree with the terms of the License Agreement select Cancel to stop the installation. If you agree with the terms of the Software License Agreement check the I Agree radio-button and click Next.
- Next, the setup wizard will allow the user to set the User Information. In the User ID field, please provide the user ID for a user with administrative privileges on the local machine. In the Password field, please provide the password of this user. Then click Next.
- Then, the Active Directory Configuration screen will appear. Clarity Web can optionally be configured to authenticate users via Active Directory. If you wish to use this option please enter the LDAP URL for your Active Directory Server.
- In the fields for User Name and Password, enter the information for a person who is authorized to connect to and query the Active Directory. If you do NOT wish to use that option, leave all fields empty. Then click Next.
- Next is the Select Installation Addressscreen. This screen will look different depending on whether you are using IIS 5.0 or 6.0 (or later).
- If you are using IIS 5.0 the following screen will appear:
- If you are using IIS 6.0 or later, you will see the window shown below. Make sure you select “ASP.NET 4.0 Classic” or higher. Note that the screenshot shows “4.5 Classic” from the Application Pool drop-down box as shown in the next figure.
- Click Next.
- At this stage, all information needed to install Clarity Web Server has been collected. The installer will bring the Confirm Installation screen. Click Next to start the actual file installation:
- Once installation has completed, you will be prompted to Activate the software. Click Activate Now (recommended) to input the product key to activate or click Next to activate later.
- Once the installation is completed, the Installation Complete screen will be displayed.
- Click Close.
This concludes the Web Server installation part of the Clarity Web Remediation Installation.
If you encounter any issues during the installation/activation, please email email@example.com. Try to include as many details as possible (screenshots are also very helpful). Our Support Team will contact you promptly to assist you in handling any issues.