The following figure illustrates the components of the CommonLook Office panel. This panel is displayed, by default, to the right of the MS Word or MS PowerPoint window when running the software to create an accessible PDF.
When CommonLook Office is launched, the Current Checkpoint panel shows the first checkpoint applicable to the document or presentation. The simplest way to use CommonLook Office is to navigate through the tasks following the instructions until all checkpoints are completed and a PDF document is generated. Refer to the CommonLook Office Overview for MS Word or the CommonLook Office Overview for MS PowerPoint for more information on this process.
The CommonLook Office Panel contains the following features:
- All Checkpoints Tab: This tab lists all of the checkpoints supported by this version of CommonLook Office for the standard that was chosen when opening the software. Bolded checkpoints are those applicable to the current document (presentation); non-applicable checkpoints are marked as such. Select a checkpoint, then navigate to the Current Checkpoint tab to view the tasks for that checkpoint. Use the Preferences Tab to view and set the checkpoint’s preference settings.
- Current Checkpoint Tab: This tab contains the tasks pertaining to the current checkpoint.
- Checkpoint Preferences Tab: This tab lists preference settings relevant to the selected checkpoint or category of checkpoints.
- Instructions: The user actions required to pass the checkpoint. Follow the “More” link at the top of the CommonLook Office panel for detailed information about each checkpoint.
- Task Buttons: Use the next/previous buttons to proceed through each applicable checkpoint in order, task by task.
- Applicable Checkpoint Buttons: Use the next/previous buttons to move to the first task in each applicable checkpoint, skipping any remaining tasks in the current checkpoint.
- Generate PDF Button: Selecting this button will cause CommonLook Office to generate a PDF immediately without passing the remaining checkpoints. Warning! PDF files created without passing all checkpoints may not be accessible or in compliance with accessibility standards/guidelines.
- Generate Report Button: After running the document (or presentation) through the checkpoints, using this button will create a report documenting that the PDF will be compliant with the standard chosen when launching the software.